I am glad that most of the people were prepared for tonight’s session – this is exactly what prepared motions are all about 🙂
Tonight we debated on the motion “THBT Taiwan should declare independence”. It was rather exciting!
- Why people / country needs independent country?
- National sovereignty
- International recognition (including WTO etc.)
- Individual decisions that benefit Taiwan only (not China)
- China is locked in, Taiwan – opened towards rest of the world
- China has communistic regime, Taiwan more democratic one
- Why & When can a part of a country be torn off the rest of the country?
- Historical roots
- China’s annexation
- Culture, national division etc.
- Serbia & Kosova
- Is it worth for Taiwan to declare the independence? (cost / benefit analysis)
- Possible economic loss / gain
- Possible reaction of China / US opposite reaction
- Possible military conflict by China
- What are the international laws about international conflicts?
- Can China attack Taiwan (Taiwan’s declaration of independence is a threat to China’s sovereignty)
- Can / will other countries support & help Taiwan
- Can UN Security Council pass a resolution (won’t it be similar to Russia / Chechnya case)